a photo journey

~ Make sure to look through October for pictures from my trip to Italy. This whole working thing is really throwing off my regular-posting groove!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Milan Central Station


There is something truly monumental about Milan's Central Station. Mussolini really did make himself a monument when commissioning this to be built. The Art Deco style here really does inspire awe.

One of the few styles that Micah and I agree on is Art Deco. There is something absolutely lovely in the long clean lines, the sleek curves and the nod to classical mythology. It really is a shame that we didn't spend longer at this station so that we could have a proper look around and admire.

As for Milan Station... plan on at least 30minutes to purchase your ticket. Actually, the same was true in Florence, so maybe I should recommend this allowance for any major station in Italy. Micah and I did the whole divide and conquer method of ticket queueing - I took the ticket window line, and Micah the automated teller line. On this particular occasion, I won, despite the 35 minute wait.

After this, the train journey from Milan to Genoa was completely uneventful. Train travel really is the absolute best way to get around in my mind's eye; far superior to the bus!

taken June 201 0 - Milan Central Station, Milan, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment